Modern manufacturing has made sustainable, eco-friendly products increasingly difficult to find. However, the team at Artiwood Australia relishes this challenge.
We search the world every year for toys that reflect our philosophy at an affordable price. Very few manufacturers make the cut. However, those that do are truly worth the effort.
In 2015 we added more than 200 new products to our range; and another 100 in 2016. This includes the best from rising global brands like Indigo Jamm, Apple Park, New Classic Toys and Kinderfeets; along with Kidstart, a reputable Australian supplier of educational posters and books. In 2017 we launched the new pastel range from Swedish designed Micki.
Each supplier has been chosen for its commitment to designing and manufacturing safe and eco-friendly toys using sustainable and organic materials. We also ensure each supplier manufactures its products using fair and ethical practices. This includes ICTI factory certification issued under the USA’s Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act in conjunction with the International Council of Toy Industries.
As a result, our Planet & People Friendly philosophy means that our toys offer rich learning opportunities but don't cost the earth; literally and figuratively.
What makes a product eco-friendly?
- We try to avoid products made from plastic unless they're using recycled or biodegradable plastic materials (e.g. PET bottles saved from landfill).
- Many of our toys are made from rubberwood, grown on plantations in Thailand and Sri Lanka. This timber is a sustainable source. As each rubber tree ages, its rubber latex production declines. Eventually its taken out of production. Our suppliers then harvest this wood to create beautiful toys.
- Alternatively our suppliers use timber from low risk wood species; or choose timber that's been sustainably sourced.
- All paper products use vegetable-based inks and paper stocks certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). While waste paper produced during manufacture is recycled whenever possible.
- Our Apple Park range of baby and toddler products use 100% organically grown cotton and Tek Standard Low Impact dyes.
- All painted products are finished with non-toxic child-safe paints and lacquers.
- Packaging is kept to a minimum. In fact, we even recycle the cardboard boxes in our warehouse when packing and shipping your order.